Nutrition for wrestlers
Wrestling Diet and Nutrition Guide
- Always have one carb. Examples: slice of toast, half a bagel, oatmeal, grits, microwavable pancake.
- Always have one protein. Examples: eggs, low-fat sausage, yogurt, peanut butter.
- Always finish breakfast by drinking one 8 oz. of water.
- Breakfast should put no more than one pound on you, but should give you energy to have a productive morning.
- Always have one carb + one protein + fruit
- Carb-protein combo could be a sandwich or salad:
- Sandwiches should always be on wheat bread/bun/wrap with lean, low-sodium meats. Options are turkey, roast beef, ham, chicken, or peanut butter. Can have lettuce/tomato/slice of cheese but no mayo or mustard.
- Salads should have protein (chicken, salmon, etc.) but no cheese, croutons, or dressing.
- Eat some fruit! Apple, banana, orange, grapes, strawberries, pineapple, etc. Any piece of fruit you want!
- Always finish lunch with an 8 oz. glass of water.
- Always have a protein and a carb with a vegetable.
- Protein options: grilled chicken, fish, lean steak, ground beef, ground turkey, lean beef, black beans.
- Carb options: sweet or baked potato, brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole wheat breads.
- Any vegetable is good for you. Ex: spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc.
- Get creative!! Mix various proteins and carbs to make a dinner you enjoy. Some ideas: ground beef tacos with spinach; ground turkey with black beans and rice; grilled chicken with pasta.
Before practice/workout or when you get home from school its smart to have a snack.
Healthy snacks include: yogurt with fruit, small protein bar, granola bar, ½ peanut butter sandwich.
Before bed, it is smart to have a snack too. Stick to just protein before bed: yogurt, hard boiled eggs, or piece of meat.
Your body uses twice as much as much energy to digest protein that it does any other nutrient- hence why you should eat protein with every snack and meal. If you’re really hungry outside of meal time, eat some protein.
Drink about 2 bottles of water throughout the day in order to stay hydrated, Cut the water back to just one bottle about 2 days from weigh ins. You need water, so don’t completely disregard it.
WATER and WATER only! No Gatorade, PowerAde, tea, milk, juice, or soda.